Peugeot has equipped the Traveller with many other attractive features making it a benchmark in the segment. Its new base, adapted from the ‘Efficient Modular Platform 2’ (EMP2), provides top quality, efficiency and record fuel consumption levels for the segment.
Its Euro 6 BlueHDi engines are equipped with the most efficient pollution control technology on the market with a SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system upstream of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Already a validated solution since July 2013, they combine driving enjoyment and efficient performance, offering up to 180hp and 400Nm. Due to this technology, the Peugeot Traveller range boasts an average CO2 emission level of just 140g/km, crowning it best-in-class in the segment.
On board, the Peugeot Traveller promises calm and comfortable journeys due to dynamic ride and handling qualities that are worthy of Peugeot's expertise, as well as luxury comfort and ambience. Multiple configurations up to 9 seats and a wide range of equipment, sometimes exclusive in the segment, make the Peugeot Traveller a vehicle that adapts to everyday life.
With the importance of safety and crash protection, the Peugeot Traveller was awarded a top 5-star rating in the Euro NCAP tests, the results of which were released in December 2015.
"The Peugeot Traveller fully applies the brand’s expansion strategy by positioning us on the growth sectors of the MPV and VIP Shuttle. Through its innovative design, the Peugeot Traveller gives a new dimension to Peugeot's upmarket shift," Maxime Picat, Managing Director at Peugeot.
"With the Peugeot Traveller, Peugeot's large passenger car family is expanding with a MPV that can accommodate up to nine people with top-quality comfort and space for all seated passengers," Laurent Blanchet, Peugeot Product Director
Peugeot Traveller – Product in brief
The New Peugeot Traveller utilises the acclaimed Efficient Modular Platform 2 (EMP2) as the basis to combine its compact exterior dimensions with maximum roominess. The Peugeot Traveller offers up to 9 spacious seats with 1,500 litres of boot space or up to 4,900 litres due to its removable seats.
Available in three defined lengths, ranging from 4.60m to 5.30m, its height of 1.90m is rare in the segment, and guarantees the Peugeot Traveller's entry into covered car parks. The ‘M’ and ‘XL’ length versions of 4.95m and 5.30m are at the heart of the market. The 4.60m ‘XS’ version, unique in the segment, can also comfortably accommodate up to 9 people in all seats. With its reduced overhang and optimised dimensions, the Peugeot Traveller offers easy handling for everyday use including in urban conditions.
The Peugeot Traveller Business Plus VIP vehicle provides its rear-seat passengers with a four face-to-face seat configuration each with individual leather armchairs. The multi-function roof with tri-zone climate control and soft diffusion, equipment exclusive to the segment, and mood lighting, also contribute greatly to passenger well-being.
The modern and efficient Euro 6 95hp to 180hp engines and the new EAT6 automatic gearbox promise driving enjoyment and record CO2 emissions and fuel consumption in the segment. The most efficient version with 55.3mpg and 133g/km of CO2, and its entire range with 52.3mpg and 140g/km on average, are references in the segment.
The Peugeot Traveller offers a wide range of latest generation safety and comfort equipment, which is rare or unique in the segment:
◦ Hands-free sliding side doors are unprecedented in the market;
◦ Head-up display and road sign reading system with speed-limiter recommendation are also unique in the segment;
◦ Opening tailgate rear window, glass roof panel, Active Safety Brake and automatic main beam switching are rare in the segment;
◦ For the first time ever, one of the brand's vehicles is equipped with new voice-control connected navigation and real-time traffic information, VisioPark 1 reversing camera with 180° overhead rear view and rear view zoom, or Driver Attention Alert.
The Peugeot Traveller comes in two ranges, one for private individuals and the other for professionals, each with two well-specified trim levels and seating options.
A new top-of-the range MPV and VIP Shuttle benchmark
Professionals and private individuals in this segment have different needs and expectations depending on their activities and the people or customers that they are carrying.
To meet them, the Peugeot Traveller offers two ranges, each with two levels of finish:
◦ For private individuals, a Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV) with Active and Allure trim levels available in 5, 7 or 8 seat versions;
◦ For professional people carriers, the shuttle with Business trim levels is available (in 5 to 9 seat versions) and the range-topping Business Plus is available in 6 or 7 seat versions.
In keeping with the brand's upmarket shift, the deluxe levels offer a wide range of distinctive and enhancing interior and exterior equipment. The Peugeot Traveller provides passengers with top-level features, for comfort and ease.
Its assertive and elegant style takes its inspiration from Peugeot passenger car features. The space and comfort dedicated to passengers meets the needs of high-end professional people carriers, for example for taking VIPs and their luggage to their destination.
Whether for doing the shopping, family trips, or going away with friends on mountain bike trips, the Peugeot Traveller adapts to all situations. Due to its multiple sliding seat configurations and the broad flexibility of use of its interior space, the Peugeot Traveller is also suitable for various family uses such as leisure and sports hobbies.
Premium design and comfort
The Peugeot Traveller's distinctive and modern style exuding strength and elegance is enhanced on premium levels with Xenon headlights and 17" alloy wheels.
As soon as the passengers open the doors, they are greeted with door sill lighting, a sleek designed luxurious interior embellished with premium materials, and in particular leather seats and thick carpets on the floor. For rear passenger entry on board, all versions are equipped as standard with motor-operated sliding side doors, and in addition are hands free on Allure versions.
Luxury comfort for passengers
Depending on the versions, the rear passengers in rows 2 and 3 have separate leather sliding armchairs with elbow rests or ⅔ - ⅓ split sliding bench seats and individually reclining backrests.
Wide dark tinted (70% opacity) and extra-tinted (90% opacity) windows on superior finishes protect their privacy and allow them to enjoy the scenery. The two separately concealable glass roof panels provide brightness and a panoramic view of the sky.
The multi-functional roof, standard on the Allure and Business Plus model, includes LED mood lighting, in addition to individual reading lights and soft diffusion climate control which, like in aeroplanes, is separate from the individual air vents.
Four 12V sockets distributed in the passenger compartment, as well as a 230V socket and a USB port are provided for charging mobile devices.
The VIP shuttle
The Peugeot Traveller Business Plus, an emblematic version of the range, offers rear-seat passengers the lounge configuration with 4 separate seats facing one another or 5 seats with the 3-seater bench seat option in row 3.
The interior ambience is functional and dedicated to passenger comfort: leather seats, mood lighting, tri-zone climate control with soft diffusion function separate from the air vents and an optional glass roof. These two items of equipment are unique to the segment. The optional retractable sliding table provides an area perfectly conducive to work for the business customer.
The Peugeot Traveller Business offers a premium exterior style for passengers who are seated within. In addition, the seats and comfort equipment can be configured exactly according to the professional's needs. The ease of access to row 3 seats is remarkable. A single control folds the seat back and provides a wide passage to the rear bench seat.
The Multi Purpose Vehicle
The Peugeot Traveller in Active or Allure finish combines modularity and flexibility. It is available to specify in 5, 7 or 8 seat versions. Row 2 has a ⅔ - ⅓ split bench seat, with both sections totally separate, as in row 3, or two individual seats with elbow rests. In both situations, the removable and sliding seats can be adapted to any configuration between transporting 8 people and luggage, and only keeping the two front seats, if required. With the passenger seat backrest folded down, objects up to 3.50m long can be transported.
The sliding and modular seats are particularly appreciated on the ‘XS’ version which can accommodate up to 8 people on a daily basis and if necessary can provide a generous 2m3 of boot space in the 5-seater configuration in only 4.60m of length.
Child mirror, aviation tables on the back of the front seats, tri-zone climate control with soft diffusion function, sun blinds in row 2, luggage cover shelf, opening rear window, and 17" wheels with wheel trims are all standard equipment geared towards the pleasure of sharing journeys as a family or with friends.
An assertive design exuding strength and elegance
"Before starting to design the Peugeot Traveller, for us it was important to have superb proportions and be able to inject the stylish features of the brand's passenger cars," Keith Ryder, Peugeot Traveller Design Manager
The Peugeot Traveller revolutionises features in the segment. Proportions are harmonious between the front end, the driver position and the rear space. The compact overhangs and wheels positioned at the four corners give it verticality and a powerful presence. The sleek lines enhance its aerodynamic flow and the high window line contributes to the modernity of its profile.
From the very first glance, you can see that the Peugeot Traveller belongs to Peugeot's passenger car range. The headlights mounted flush with the bodywork evoke the appeal of the Peugeot 308 Hatchback and SW. The LED light signature, integrated with chrome-plated boomerangs, alludes to the Peugeot 508 grand touring saloon car. The quality finish right down to the tiniest detail marks its contribution to the brand's upmarket shift.
The elevated new vertical grille accentuates the Peugeot Traveller's presence with the lion brand logo at the centre of a new dynamic, three-dimensional grille, instead of the usual horizontal blades. Its trapezoidal chromed edging with slight taper in the lower corners accentuates the elegance and modernity of the front end.
The sleek designed side panels are structured with sharp lines and sculpted by concave door sills, which enhances the impressiveness of the smooth wheel arches extending out from them. The proportions between the bodywork and the height of the windows give it a very modern style.
The fairly low side protections and the front bumper that integrate air inlets across the entire width of the car, with a more compact grille above, emphasises the robust look of the Peugeot Traveller.
A new modular and efficient platform
"Inaugurated by the Peugeot 308, then the 308 SW, the EMP2 platform once again demonstrates its efficiency and modularity with the Peugeot Traveller," Rémi Seimpere, Peugeot Traveller Vehicle Base Chief Engineer.
Improved performance, fuel economy and usage costs
The architecture of the front end, in particular the centre-to-centre distance and height of the roof drip moulding, along with the geometry of the front suspension permit integration of 1.6 L and 2.0 L BlueHDi engines. The main elements of their environment, such as the cooling panel, air supply, exhaust downpipe and electrical architecture etc., are also used. Their quality and performance have already been proven on the award-winning Peugeot 308 Hatchback.
By using the new platform, vehicle mass is significantly reduced to 100–400kg less than other vehicles, with equivalent power, in the same segment. Combining this new platform with BlueHDi engines allows the Peugeot Traveller to achieve record fuel economy levels:
◦ 1.6 L BlueHDi 95hp, 5-speed manual gearbox from 51.3mpg | CO2 at 144g/km;
◦ 1.6 L BlueHDi 95hp S&S, ETG6 controlled gearbox from 54.3mpg | CO2 at 135g/km;
◦ 1.6 L BlueHDi 115hp S&S, 6-speed manual gearbox from 55.3mpg | CO2 at133g/km;
◦ 2.0 L BlueHDi 150hp S&S, 6-speed manual gearbox from 53.2mpg | CO2 at 139g/km;
◦ 2.0 L BlueHDi 180hp S&S, EAT6 automatic gearbox from 48.7mpg | CO2 at 151g/km1.
BlueHDi engines incorporate the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system upstream of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) with AdBlue additive. They thereby meet the Euro 6 standard with the most effective pollution control technology on the market. Their AdBlue 22.4-litre tank provides a range of 9,500 miles / 15,000km. AdBlue is filled up easily using the exterior filling flap, located in the middle pillar, which is invisible when the driver's door is closed.
The Peugeot Traveller benefits from competitive usage costs, in particular due to its best-in-class fuel economy and its 25,000 miles / 40,000 km or with a 2-year maintenance frequency.
Improved diversity of the offer for all customer uses
The Peugeot Traveller is available in 3 lengths, which can all be configured as 5 to 9-seaters:
◦ The 4.60m ‘XS’ version;
◦ The 4.95m ‘M’ version;
◦ The 5.30m ‘XL’ version.
Its Efficient Modular Platform achieves these three lengths with:
◦ 2 rear overhangs, one common to the ‘XS’ and ‘M’ versions, the other specific to the ‘XL’ version;
◦ 2 wheelbases, one specific to the ‘XS’ version and the other common to the ‘M’ and ‘XL’ versions;
◦ A single chassis architecture: ground links, exhaust line and fuel system common to all 3 lengths.
Improved roominess, handling and safety
Due to the excellent efficiency of the architecture of its platform, the Peugeot Traveller provides up to 9 seats comfortably for all passengers and 1,500-litres (1,384dm3 VDA) of boot space. This volume can even be increased to 4,900-litres (4,554dm3 VDA) with its removable row 2 and 3 seats.
Unique in the segment, the ‘XS’ version also accommodates up to 9 people on board or 3,600-litres (3,397dm3 VDA) of boot space in a length of only 4.60m.
The optimised 0.88m front and 0.80m rear overhangs with a turning circle from 11.30m assist the Peugeot Traveller's manoeuvrability, in particular in cities or tight spaces. Its height limited to 1.90m also guarantees its accessibility to covered car parks in town centres and shopping areas, as well as at home and in airports.
As regards safety, in addition to its new equipment, with its new base and reinforced structure, the Peugeot Traveller obtained a top 5 star score in the Euro NCAP tests published in December 2015.
Improved comfort and dynamic handling
On board, the Peugeot Traveller also revolutionises the segment's features improving ergonomics and driving comfort. The step provides easy access to its elevated seating position, which dominates the road. The instrument panel and steering wheel are in a relatively vertical position for the segment, immersing the driver in an environment somewhere between the SUV for the commanding position and a saloon for comfort. The pure and modern design of the driver position combines the elegance of the materials and the ergonomics of the controls, like the touch screen which is always easy to reach and view.
As regards the suspension, the Peugeot Traveller adopts the Pseudo MacPherson front suspension from the accomplished EMP2. The electrohydraulic-assisted steering with the anti-roll bar positioned in front of the steering rack optimises the turning circle. It provides assistance for parking manoeuvres and for driving consistency in other cornering duties.
Specific tuning of the subframe and suspension joints is designed to absorb the impacts and road surface conditions.
The new oblique wishbone rear suspension supports a payload of up to 1,400kg to make the most of permitting the 9 seat layout with boot space. The variable stiffness springs and shock absorbers guarantee maximum comfort whether the vehicle is loaded or operating empty.
The wheels are available in 16" with wheel trims and 17" with wheel trims or alloy wheel rims. These alloy wheels can be combined with 3PMSF winter tyres that can be used all year round.
To complement passenger and driver comfort, the acoustic aspect of the Peugeot Traveller has been designed to offer the best level of acoustic comfort in the segment with:
◦ Additional sound deadening foam pads and panels in the structure and opening elements;
◦ The design of penetrating parts and joints made of absorbent materials;
◦ Window thickness of 3.85mm and even 4.46mm for the windscreen integrates a soundproof layer.
Top-of-the-range, modern and connected safety and comfort equipment
Making access on-board easy
Hands-free sliding side doors can be opened or closed, with a simple foot action. This equipment, unique on the market in this sector, unlocks and opens the sliding side doors with a foot gesture action - you just need to have possession of the electronic key. It also closes and locks the vehicle automatically.
The motor-operated sliding doors are opened by push button in the front seats and in row 2 rear seats to make the driver's life and passenger access on board easier. They can also be combined with the Hands-Free Access and Starting (HFAS) system.
For calm and connected journeys
The Peugeot Traveller inaugurates a new 7" capacitive touch screen, in addition to the multimedia system. All of the services dedicated to simplifying journeys and driving are all here. Simply touch the screen lightly with a finger or use voice control. Voice recognition provides additional security in particular for using the Navigation, Telephone and Media features without taking eyes off the road.
The Peugeot Traveller introduces a new generation of connected 3D navigation, controlled by voice recognition and/or using the touch-screen. It includes free lifetime updates of the mapping 4 times a year and the associated Peugeot Connect connected services for 3 years .
Peugeot Connect 2 includes:
◦ TomTom Traffic real-time traffic information;
◦ The location and prices of Service stations and car parks;
◦ Weather information;
◦ Local search of points of interest (POI)
Alert Zones 2 completes the offer as an option.
Due to real-time traffic information, this new Peugeot navigation system saves time and brings peace-of-mind by avoiding traffic jams.
Connection to Peugeot Connect services is automatic and at no extra cost with Peugeot Connect SOS & Assistance (SIM card and data included), if the vehicle is equipped with it. If this is not the case, connection can be made by tethering (modem method) via a smartphone connected by USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
Peugeot Connect Nav also integrates the MirrorScreen® function so that you can use smartphone applications on the Peugeot Traveller's 7" touch screen in complete safety. The MirrorScreen® is offered with both Apple CarPlayTM and MirrorLink® technology to guarantee a wider range of compatible smartphones.
For intuitive driving in complete safety
For even more comfortable and safe driving, the Peugeot Traveller has a wide range of latest generation driving assistance devices. Some have been fitted to a vehicle from the Peugeot range for the very first time: Driving time warning system, Driver Attention Alert, Road sign reading with speed limit recommendation system and Active Safety Brake.
The Driving time warning system, as standard, alerts the driver after 2 hours of uninterrupted driving at a speed of 40mph or above. A warning light accompanied with a "Think to take a break" message reminds them of this on the instrument panel.
Blind Spot Monitoring alerts the driver to the presence of a vehicle in an adjacent right or left-hand lane that is in their blind spot. This equipment is available when the car is equipped with front and rear parking assistance or VisioPark 1.
VisioPark 1 completes the front and rear radar parking assistance equipment, or rear radar with reversing camera. It provides a 180° overhead view of the rear zone of the vehicle and its environment.
The image is created by the reversing camera as the vehicle reverses. The rear view includes guide lines that rotate with the steering wheel. As soon as an obstacle is detected, the automatic zoom feature above the rear zone is used to view the distance from it. Reversing manoeuvres and the vehicle's alignment with parking space lines and obstacles are therefore made easy and the vehicle's integrity is secured.
Grip Control is an enhanced traction control system, patented by the PSA Peugeot Citroën Group. It extends the usability of the Peugeot Traveller on roads or tracks with low levels of grip allowing the vehicle to continue to make progress in a situation where a two-wheel drive vehicle would struggle or get stuck.
Versatile and flexible, it adapts to the conditions encountered by acting on the front driving wheels, while leaving the driver in control at all times. At any time, the driver can effectively choose to allow this equipment to use its intelligence to function in Standard mode or select the desired mode using the dial on the dashboard central panel, with modes: Snow, Off-Road, Sand, ESP Off.
The Safety Pack, available as an option, integrates the Visibility Pack and four items of equipment that use the multi-function camera located at the top of the windscreen:
◦ The Road Sign Reading and Speed Limit Recommendation system recognises speed limit signs and alerts the driver of this limit on the instrument panel. The speed read is suggested to the driver as the set-point value for the speed limiter or cruise control. The driver can accept this suggestion, in just two presses. One press for selection and one for confirmation effectively prevents unintentional action;
◦ The Driver Attention Alert measures the vehicle's handling attitude via the camera and steering wheel angle sensor. A visual and audible alert draws attention to the driver about driving behaviour;
◦ The Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) detects when the vehicle crosses a solid or broken white line marked on the road. In this situation, if the flashing light is inactive, the driver is alerted by visual and audible feedback on the instrument panel;
◦ Automatic main beam switching enabled at night automatically switches the headlights from main beam to dipped beam and vice-versa depending on other vehicles detected by the camera.
The Drive Assist Pack, available as an option, integrates three items of equipment in addition to the Visibility Pack that use the radar located at the front of the car and/or the multi-function camera located at the top of the windscreen:
◦ The Active Cruise Control is a cruise control/speed limiter system with extended regulation function in relation to the distance from the vehicle in front. This function is particularly suitable for motorway driving conditions in moderately heavy or fluid traffic avoiding systematic disconnection of the cruise control every time a vehicle is in front. Effectively, as soon as the radar detects a vehicle, a constant space is maintained by automatically reducing the vehicle's speed up to 12mph via engine braking. When the lane is free, the cruise control resumes the speed initially requested. If deceleration of 12mph is not enough to maintain this space, the cruise control alerts the driver and gives control of the vehicle speed to the driver;
◦ The Collision Alert warns the driver of an imminent risk of collision to make him react. This visual and audible warning occurs just before the Active Safety Brake is activated;
◦ The Active Safety Brake is a new generation of automatic emergency braking system. The camera and the radar detect the imminent collision with any moving or stationary obstacle. In this case, if the driver fails to brake or does not brake enough, the system applies maximum braking on behalf of the driver. It helps to avoid the impact (up to 18mph) or reduce its consequences whatever the vehicle's speed, with deceleration up to 1G.
For everyday practicality
The opening rear window feature is rare in the Peugeot Traveller's segment. It makes loading of the boot easy, including when parking spaces are too small to open the tailgate. It is available as standard on Peugeot Traveller Active and Allure versions.
The Peugeot Traveller also provides up to 74-litres of open or closed storage space distributed in the passenger compartment:
◦ Two passenger-side glove compartments, a larger 7-litre refrigerated compartment can contain five small 0.5-litre bottles, and a smaller 5-litre compartment and a 5-litre A4 format closed storage box above the instrument panel used, for example, for keeping your tablet or smartphone safe;
◦ Two cup holders on either side of the dashboard both accommodating a 0.5-litre bottle;
◦ A storage area in the centre of the dashboard;
◦ In each front door, a storage compartment and a large 8-litre door tray can also contain two 1.5-litre bottles;
◦ A 5-litre storage compartment in each sliding side door;
◦ An 8-litre storage compartment in the 2-seater front passenger bench seat configuration can contain a pack of six 0.5-litre bottles.